Yamaha P95 sound quality problem.

All Other Yamaha Keyboards/Modules and Instruments Not Covered By Their Own Section

Moderators: parametric, Derek, Clyde, Saul, Fozzer

Yamaha P95 sound quality problem.

Unread postby zakid » Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:38 pm

I have Yamaha P95 for quite a while now. For the most time recently I have been using my headphones while I'm playing.
Today, when I tried to play a little bit without the headphones, I noticed the sound quality coming from the speakers has worsened. At first I thought I just got used to the headphones and hence the difference, but then I clearly realized the the sound quality is more "subdued" and silenced and isn't as good as it used to be, which seems to be some sort of problem with the speakers.
Any idea where this might be coming from? And is there anything I could try doing myself before contacting support?
zakid

Re: Yamaha P95 sound quality problem.

Unread postby Clyde » Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:40 pm

Hi zakid,
Welcome to the Forums! Not sure where that issue could be coming from, I would think the P95 would be new enough that there should not be much in the way of part failure yet (though there can always be a defective part that goes bad before it should). I would at least phone Yamaha Support and see what they have to say, they've been very helpful the few times I've needed them.
Clyde
DX7IIFD, SY77, SY99, Hammond C3, Steinway L, CP300, AW1600, etc.
Clyde
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Yamaha P95 sound quality problem.

Unread postby parametric » Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:55 am

Hi zakid, and welcome indeed.

Its common with keyboards, that inserting the headphones quenches the speakers (where fitted).

This is facilitated by a springy metal contact in the socket which, when displaced by the jack plug, disconnects the speakers.

Over time, the springiness of that contact can reduce and also the contact point gets tarnished.

Try a "friction-clean". Insert the headphone plug and fairly vigourously, plug it in and out about 10 times. . . .

See if that improves matters . . .

Best Regards

parametric
Alesis Fusion 8HD/384Mb/120Gb SSD/Yamaha SY85/8.5mb vol/1024k non-vol/DX21/Roland MT32/Bachmann double overstrung Baby Grand Piano/Windows Vista64/XP SP3/Ubuntu 12.0.4/iBook G4/Mac OS 10.4.6/ProTools 7.4/MBox2/M-Audio 24/96 Sector101 2x SYEMB06 / 1 x Sweet16
Oh, and a Roland LAPC1 (MT32-on-a-card) which I can't use anymore - it is a full length 8-bit ISA card ;-)
BRAND NEW DSDD (720k) FLOPPY DISKS FOR SALE - http://www.yamahaforums.co.uk/index.php ... atest-news

Watch out now! take care, BEWARE of the greedy leaders! They'll take you where you should not go - (George Harrison)

IT'S TRUE - "MONEY TALKS" - TO ME, IT MOSTLY SAYS "GOODBYE" ;-)
http://www.chrisnmiller.co.uk/Chris/index.html
parametric
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Return to Other Yamaha Keyboards/Modules & Equipment