Yamaha MEP4 Keyboard Split

All Other Yamaha Keyboards/Modules and Instruments Not Covered By Their Own Section

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul, Fozzer

Slither1986

Yamaha MEP4 Keyboard Split

Unread post by Slither1986 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:30 pm

Good day everyone!

Couple days ago I became owner of Yamaha MEP4 MIDI Event Processor. The main purpose of this purchase was option "keyboard split", while I also have racks: Yamaha TX81Z, Korg M1R and Planet Phatt. I was needed 1 device to control all of this racks through 1 midi keyboard (Korg Minilogue, 3 octaves). I was looking into manual but found just couple words about keyboard split, so could you please help me and tell more how could I organize everything with MEP4

Thank you for your time!

SeaGtGruff
United States of America

Re: Yamaha MEP4 Keyboard Split

Unread post by SeaGtGruff » Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:33 pm

Are you wanting to split the minilogue's three octaves so you can play all three racks at the same time, or just play a single rack at a time but be able to easily switch back and forth between them?
Michael Rideout
Yamaha PSR-E433, PSR-E443, YPT-400

Slither1986

Unread post by Slither1986 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:12 pm

Hi there!

First one - split the minilogue's three octaves so you can play all three racks at the same time

SeaGtGruff
United States of America

Unread post by SeaGtGruff » Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:29 am

First of all, please note that I have no experience with the MEP4, and the only thing I know about it is what I can read in its manual. However, I've done this sort of thing with DAWs, and the basic procedure is the same. The following steps are just my "best guess," so I'm not certain they're correct-- but if they aren't, they should hopefully point you in the right direction.

(1) Connect the minilogue's MIDI Out to the MEP4's MIDI In.

(2) Set up Processor 1 as follows:
(2a) Use the Channel Filter to let through at least the channel that the minilogue is transmitting on.
(2b) Use the Message Filter to let through at least the Note On and Note Off messages.
(2c) Use the Data Modifier to select and modify the Note On messages.
(2d) Use the Data Modifier's Limit option to let through only those Note On messages which fall within a certain range.
(2e) If desired, use the Data Modifier's Offset option to transpose the selected Note On messages, such as shifting them up or down a number of octaves.
(2f) Use the Output Assigner to send the data to the desired MIDI Out port and MIDI channel for the first rack.

(3) Set up Processor 2 in a similar manner, sending the data to the second rack.

(4) Set up Processor 3 in a similar manner, sending the data to the third rack.

I should mention that I'm not at all sure about the Note Off messages. If the minilogue uses Note On messages with a velocity of 0 to turn off the notes, then there shouldn't be any problems. But if the minilogue uses actual Note Off messages, you might experience issues with notes not turning off-- especially if you're using the Offset option to transpose the Note On messages, since the note values in the Note Off messages won't match up with the note values in the modified Note On messages.

EDIT: Also, keep in mind that using the minilogue's own octave-shifting or transposing functions (if it has those) will affect the note values that it sends to the MEP4.
Michael Rideout

SeaGtGruff
United States of America

Unread post by SeaGtGruff » Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:03 am

Were you able to figure it out? Did my notes help at all, or were they too vague/confusing/wrong?
Michael Rideout

Return to “Other Yamaha Keyboards/Modules & Equipment”