psr-k1, song filer help

Yamaha PSR/PSS & DGX Home Keyboards. If your particular model PSR/PSS/DGX keyboard doesn't have it's own section here is the place to post.

Moderators: parametric, Derek, Clyde, Saul, Fozzer

psr-k1, song filer help

Unread postby sophierat » Fri Aug 05, 2005 1:52 pm

I have a PSR-K1, of which i am using with OS Windows XP.
I am having trouble though when I get to the data reception part. When I transfer a file to my computer I have an error message come up saying "Reception failed"

Does anyone know of a soloution, or where I can find help?
sophierat

Unread postby Saul » Fri Aug 05, 2005 11:06 pm

Hi and welcome to the site :)

Not quite sure what the problem is here as I haven't looked through the manual yet. But I assume your PC recognizes the keyboard ? I mean when you plug the usb lead in it sees the keyboard and doesn't throw up any errors at that stage?
Saul
Site Admin
Follow me on Twitter @YamahaForums
Follow Us On Facebook
Yamaha CPX700/Apogee Jam/M-Audio Keystation Pro 88/Pianoteq/Amplitube 3.0/Apple iPad2/Apple iMac 24"/GarageBand 11/Logic Pro 9/Absynth 5/Ableton Live 8/M-Audio BX5 Monitors/Mackie Spike Audio, Midi Interface.
Mac & PC Computer Repairs, Upgrades. Web Hosting www.leygreen.co.uk
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby sophierat » Sat Aug 06, 2005 10:24 am

No, it is only until I get to the screen that transfers data and click to send the file, that it comes up with the error message.
sophierat

Unread postby serene » Wed Oct 05, 2005 12:40 pm

hi,
I have the same problem too.

The driver is installed, the computer can detect the USB plug in.
But when I tried transtering file using Song Filer, it says that my keyboard is not plug properly. I'd set the keyboard to PC mode. I'd tried restarting the PC, restarting the keyboard, and unpluging the USB. But the error is still there.

Please advise. Thank you!
serene

Unread postby godzilla » Sat Oct 08, 2005 10:31 am

Hi,

I didn't own a PSR-K1 and haven't get connected a music keyboard to a PC before. :oops: But I did faced some problems connecting other peripherals to my PC. 8O

This is the possible root cause: 8)
It's more like a communication failure between your keyboard with you PC. The installed driver recognized by your Windows successfully, or some other conflics in the software.

Try go to your Windows Control Panel. Click on Add/Remove Hardware. Then, try install a new hardware on you computer. At this time, the computer will do an inspection for some new hardware installed on your PC. If it request to install/update a driver for you keyboard, go ahead and install it. Then, try transfer your file and it should be successfully transfered. :P

Else, try the troubleshooting steps based in your PSR-K1 user manual page 81.

Hope this will help. :D
godzilla

Unread postby oancient1 » Thu Oct 27, 2005 6:09 pm

I have the same problem with my K1 and the song filer - I can upload a file to the K1, but I get an error message when I try to download one. After only a frustrating couple of hours experimenting with driver and the MIDI input/output device settings, I gave up went out and bought a Smart Media card reader for 35 US$. To move files to and from the K1, I now connect the card reader to my PC, take the Smart Media Card out of the K1 and put it into the card reader, and move the files back and forth that way using.

I suspect this problem will pop up again if/when I want to use the K1 as a MIDI controller with some PC sequencer software, but I don't see that happening for quite a while.

Regards,
Tom
oancient1

Unread postby ninad » Fri Jul 14, 2006 7:40 pm

Hi all,
I am new to this forum. I stumbled on it when I was searching for fixes for the same above mentioned problem. I actually tried using a smart media card reader. But when I put it into my computer it says requires formatting. how do I overcome this.
thanks a lot
Nina
ninad

Unread postby oancient1 » Mon Jul 17, 2006 10:26 pm

Nina,

I assume that you have been able to successfully save to the card from the K1: either saving an SMF (using SMF save) or saving a user User data file (using User File Save), and then verified that the save worked, either by playing the SMF as a song, or loading the User data file. If so, then the card should be correctly formatted and the problem is probably with your card reader.

If you have NOT been able to successfully save SMF or User file data from the K1, then you should do that first, starting with formatting the card with the K1, and then saving a User song as SMF. It has been quite a while for me, and I can not remember if I had to format the card that came with the K1 before saving to it. I know I did not format it in the card reader.

Just FYI ... my card reader is a SanDisk 12-in-1 USB 2.0 Card Reader. My PC is Windows XP Professional.

Hope this helps.

Tom
oancient1@yahoo.com
oancient1

Unread postby ninad » Thu Jul 27, 2006 6:07 pm

thanks for the reply Tom, I had to format the SM card again and I purchased a new card reader and it worked!!! Earlier it kept askinmg me if I would like to format it. now it is fine...

I also learnt that it is not possible to transfer songs from the psr to the comp using the songfiler. it is supposed to only work one way. So this is not a fault and I dont think you will have any problems when you are using a sequencer.
thanks
Nina.
ninad

Unread postby oancient1 » Thu Jul 27, 2006 7:10 pm

ninad wrote:I also learnt that it is not possible to transfer songs from the psr to the comp using the songfiler. it is supposed to only work one way. So this is not a fault and I dont think you will have any problems when you are using a sequencer.
thanks
Nina.

Do you mind if I ask where did you learned that?

Regards,
Tom
oancient1

Unread postby ninad » Tue Aug 01, 2006 6:13 pm

I talked to the Yamaha people and they gave me the link to the latest manuals online. They have included something like this "Please note that it is not possible to transfer files from the keyboard to the computer using the song filer" at several places in it. This statement is not there in the older manuals, including the one that came with my PSR. Further I also tried it with some sequencing software and it does communicate...
Nina
ninad

Unread postby oancient1 » Wed Aug 02, 2006 5:04 pm

Thanks for the info Nina. The old manuals do indeed neglect to mention it, and I would have to say that the advertising is misleading. Oh well .. we have the smart media card so not being able to go from keyboard to PC is no big deal. I wonder about those who have other keyboards like PSR 293(?) that have no media card, but maybe its only a limitation with the K1.

Good news that you have verified operation with sequencing software. I am not very happy with the K1's MIDI implmentation, and am planning to buy some software like Band in a Box and use the K1 with that to make MIDIs.

Thanks again,
Tom
oancient1

Return to Yamaha PSR/PSS/DGX