DGX 630 connection to sequencer software on pc

Yamaha PSR/PSS & DGX Home Keyboards. If your particular model PSR/PSS/DGX keyboard doesn't have it's own section here is the place to post.

Moderators: parametric, Derek, Clyde, Saul, Fozzer

DGX 630 connection to sequencer software on pc

Unread postby ronaldbo » Sat Apr 04, 2009 11:31 am

I need help on the best way to connect my DGX 630 to my pc for recording. I have two types of software, Audacity and Realband. On my prior keyboard, which is 20+ years old and very simple, I just connected the output on the keyboard to the microphone/input jack on the pc and everything worked fine. On the new DGX 630, I tried the same thing but can't hear the keyboard while recording, so that doesn't work. I also tried connecting through the USB jack, but get a lot of noise and a very distorted sound.
I'm sure there is a simple way to do this, but can't find it in the manual or by experimenting. Any ideas?
ronaldbo

Unread postby Clyde » Sat Apr 04, 2009 1:09 pm

Hi ronaldbo,
Welcome to the Forums! Looking at the panel connections, the USB to Host connection is for tranferring MIDI data to/from your computer, there is no audio on that USB connection. The USB to Device is for connecting USB memory drives for saving/loading. The phones/audio out should work fineconnected to your microphone input on your computer, the reason for your lack of signal could be an impedence mismatch (i.e. output impedence does not match computer input impedence), the solution would be either changing input impedence on your input/soundcard (possible through settings on some computers/soundcards), or first going through a device which will give you a mic level rather than a line level. Also check all audio connectors and cable (including any adapters) to make sure they are working. Try troubleshooting with this info and let us know what you find.
Clyde
DX7IIFD, SY77, SY99, Hammond C3, Steinway L, CP300, AW1600, etc.
Clyde
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Unread postby Clyde » Sat Apr 04, 2009 2:15 pm

Page 13 of the owner's manual, the DGX630 internal speakers are shut off when headphones (or a cable) are plugged into the phones/out jack. So when you connect this way you will have to monitor the sound from your computer speakers.
Clyde
DX7IIFD, SY77, SY99, Hammond C3, Steinway L, CP300, AW1600, etc.
Clyde
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Return to Yamaha PSR/PSS/DGX