SY77 floppy emulator. Again!

Yamaha SY77 is a 16 voice multitimbral music workstation first produced by Yamaha Corporation in 1989. The SY77 is a synthesizer whose architecture combines AFM (Advanced Frequency Modulation) synthesis, AWM2 (Advanced Wave Memory 2) for ROM-borne sample-based synthesis, and the combination of these two methods christened Realtime Convolution and Modulation Synthesis (RCM).

Moderators: parametric, Derek, Saul, Fozzer

Silagemaker
Ireland

SY77 floppy emulator. Again!

Unread post by Silagemaker » Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:50 pm

Hi
Looking for the definitive way to go on floppy drive to USB emulator. Know there are a lot of threads on this but up to date advice would be great.
Just bought an SY77 in great condition but drive not working. Might be belt gone but would rather USB emulator. Seller gave me drive. See photos.
Will this work?
IMG_5111.JPG
IMG_5111.JPG (42.99 KiB) Viewed 111 times
IMG_5110.JPG
IMG_5110.JPG (61.4 KiB) Viewed 111 times
Looks like a lot of other gotek ones but no numeric screen.
If it doesn't any link to one that definitely does?Preferably black but beige would do if stuck.
Need a cable. Any link to one that works?
Does this one on eBay ?
http://m.ebay.ie/itm/302320014799
Then the flash software.
Get it here?
http://torlus.com/floppy/forum/index.php
Or is it possible to buy one already flashed like this one?
http://m.ebay.ie/itm/172488089435 Biege unfortunately.
Many thanks for any help.
Cheers
Ps
Hope I haven't broken any rules by posting links to eBay etc. Not trying to sell anything. Model numbers and where I might get them in reply would be great.

Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Re: SY77 floppy emulator. Again!

Unread post by Saul » Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:59 pm

Welcome to the forum :)

Your fine posting those links so no worries there.

I have never replaced a drive on the SY77 but we have plenty of people here who have, although not sure how many went down the emulator route, still, hang in there, bound to be someone along with the answer soon.
Saul
Site Admin
FREE Home Recording Training Video Course
Follow me on Twitter @YamahaForums
Follow Us On Facebook
Epiphone EJ-200CE/Taylor 114e ES2/Yamaha FG830/Roland Juno DS88/Pianoteq Pro/Amplitube 3.0/Apple iPad Air 2/Apple iMac 27"/GarageBand 10.0.3/Logic Pro X/Absynth 5/Ableton Live 8/KRK Rokit RP5 G3 Monitors/Focusrite Scarlett2i2 2nd gen
Mac & PC Computer Repairs, Upgrades. Web Hosting, Installation and Design www.thegraphicscompany.uk

Silagemaker
Ireland

Unread post by Silagemaker » Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:26 pm

Hi Saul
Thanks for the welcome :)
This site is a goldmine of info, patches etc.
Congrats.
The floppy emulator seems to be a bit of a minefield.
If it's too much I'll just use an editor and sysex.
Although it would be nice to have a USB stick with the equivalent of 100 floppies!
From what I've heard the SY77 is worth it.
And I have a fair few analogs to compare it to.
Cheers

Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Unread post by Saul » Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:38 pm

Oh I think it's definitely worth the effort if you can get the emulator working :) Never been a fan of floppy drives myself although the direct drive models are not too bad. Will look into this emulator thing myself, just in case I ever end up with another SY77 ;)
Saul
Site Admin
FREE Home Recording Training Video Course
Follow me on Twitter @YamahaForums
Follow Us On Facebook
Epiphone EJ-200CE/Taylor 114e ES2/Yamaha FG830/Roland Juno DS88/Pianoteq Pro/Amplitube 3.0/Apple iPad Air 2/Apple iMac 27"/GarageBand 10.0.3/Logic Pro X/Absynth 5/Ableton Live 8/KRK Rokit RP5 G3 Monitors/Focusrite Scarlett2i2 2nd gen
Mac & PC Computer Repairs, Upgrades. Web Hosting, Installation and Design www.thegraphicscompany.uk

Return to “Yamaha SY77 Forum - Covers the Sy77 Keyboard and TG77 Module”