Upgrading and restoring Casio FZ-1

Casio have made some great keyboards over the years and not always got the credit they deserved. If you have a Casio this is your section. Post your reviews and opinions here.

Moderators: parametric, Derek, Fozzer, Saul

db7

Re: Upgrading and restoring Casio FZ-1

Unread post by db7 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:00 pm

mscott wrote:Might do another thread for that ....
By all means! I’ll certainly read it.

mscott

Unread post by mscott » Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:55 pm

Thanks I will :-)

been sitting here for a few hours playing with this FZ,
very analogue sounding :D
a little bit of noise somewhere in the audio path although none when it is idle.
this is a beast.
Yamaha: SY35, SY77, TX7, PSR 4600
Roland: Juno106, D110, MC307, MKB200 (x2)
Kawai: XD5
Korg: Poly800Mk2
Casio: CZ1000, CZ5000, FZ-1
E-MU: ESI 2000
Digitech studio 400
Alesis SR-16
Boss Dr550mk2
Modded SX Bass, fat wires, Dimarzio DP250 pickups, Ernie Ball strings

MIA: DX7, AX80

parametric
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Great Britain

Unread post by parametric » Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:43 am

There is something incredibly satisfying about breathing new life into aging kit - and perhaps even more so if the kit has been written off by someone with less patience than you . . . .

My M-Audio MicroTrack 24/96 recorder being a case in point.

Binned at work because its internal rechargeable battery was knackered - and M-Audio's £100 battery replacement fee deemed too expensive, I recovered it.

Some research was needed to find out how to open it, as it is "snap-together" - with NO screws externally.

I found out where to pry it apart and it opened easily. The size constraints on the battery size were quite limiting - especially the thickness (if I was to be able to close the unit back up).

Eventually, an iPhone battery proved to be just about right - and when fitted, the case closes (just) and full functionality was restored.

Mini-usb to PC charges the battery and allows data IN/OUT from the removable CF Media.

Recording via the supplied T-bar 1/8" stereo mic works, as does the 1/4" TRS Jacks. Phantom power to these IS do-able but is only 36v and in view of the size of the battery - probably best to avoid. Along with the H/P out and L-R Phono analog outs, the spec is rounded off with SP/Dif IN - which DOES respond to the Start IDs knocked out by my SV3700 DAT recorder.

All this from a device a little larger than a packet of 20 cigs.

If I stay away from the Phantom power, I can record for at least 3 hours . . . so I'm very happy with this result from a "bin-job".

parametric
Alesis Fusion 8SSD AND 6SSD - BOTH are 384Mb/120Gb SSD/Akai ADVANCE61/Yamaha MOXF6/1024Mb Flash Ram/Yamaha SY85/8.5mb vol/1024k non-vol/DX21/Roland MT32/Bachmann double overstrung Baby Grand Piano/Win10 Pro/Ubuntu MATE 15.0.4/iBook G4/Mac OS 10.4.6/ProTools 7.4/MBox2/M-Audio 24/96 Sector101 2x SYEMB06 / 4 x EXM-E3 128MB DRAM Module
BRAND NEW DSDD (720k) FLOPPY DISKS FOR SALE - viewtopic.php?f=22&t=9217

Watch out now! take care, BEWARE of the greedy leaders! They'll take you where you should not go - (George Harrison)

IT'S TRUE - "MONEY TALKS" - TO ME, IT MOSTLY SAYS "GOODBYE" ;-)
http://www.chrisnmiller.co.uk/Chris

mscott

Unread post by mscott » Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:19 am

That is a nice little find. well done.
especially when it is a relatively simple fix :)
I wouldn't mind having something like that for some ideas I've had for
ambient chill music.

More searching on the floppy disk side of things i found this,

http://www.floppyemulator.com/products/flexidrivemv-sd/

checking the keyboard list, the FZ-1 is on there. An expensive option
considering by the time this would be in my hands it would be over 4 times
more than what I paid for the FZ. specs also state compatibility with 720k disks.
I wonder if they'd be compatible with Yamaha SY ..... ? 8)
Digitech studio 400
Alesis SR-16
Boss Dr550mk2

db7

Unread post by db7 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:08 am

mscott wrote:I wonder if they'd be compatible with Yamaha SY
Quite possibly, at least once the usual adapting cable is created.

However, considering that this product will just provide virtual disks/images, and the existing and much cheaper USB emulators already provide 100 of those, I seriously doubt the ability to have up to 2500 per stick/card is worth paying an extra $300 or so—when you could just buy additional items of media at 100 each. This is another of these emulators whose price is pretty absurd, almost exploitative if you ask me.

More directly, there is the HxC Floppy Emulator, which can also use SD and supports 16000+ and seemingly unlimited images—but only costs ~$90, is known to work on the TX16W and some other early synths by Yamaha, and will probably work on the SY77 and SY99, and maybe the SY85 (which, it is always important to remember, is very different from the previous two) and others, with some standard configutarion and the same type of cable. I do intend to test this once I have the kind of disposable income that would allow me to do so.

So, no, I strongly advise against anyone paying $385 for something like the FlexiDriveMV-SD from some faceless company when much better and cheaper products such as the HxC are readily available and are developed and supported by real people, who will happily speak to customers on an individual basis.

mscott

Unread post by mscott » Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:05 am

thanks for that, very good points, especially exploitative prices.
just cruising through ebay and other online stores, second had pc floppy drives are asking
crazy prices, black floppy drives up to 20 times ($100) the cost of the same in beige ($5).

Very interested in the HXC bookmarked :-) thanks

but .... casio's file system and floppy RPM isn't compatible with PC,
so making offline backups would be a problem maybe.
Digitech studio 400
Alesis SR-16
Boss Dr550mk2

db7

Unread post by db7 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:17 pm

As far as I know, the HxC is specifically capable of using raw sector-based images. This enables support of filesystems not format-compatible with MS-DOS, such as the slight derivative used by the SY77/SY99 and its equivalents in many other synths by Yamaha. For instance, the entry in the table for the TX16W itself mentions that the compatibility uses the raw mode and advises readers to check the forum for information.

So, the HxC might well be capable of working with the Casio. Have a read of the available documentation and also discussion on their forums: hopefully that will give you an answer either way.

mscott

Unread post by mscott » Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:30 am

Hi all, have been exploring this beast a little more, and is quite impressive what this can do.
some features very similar to an SY77, eg setting the mod wheel to control cutoff or resonance, quite classy i think.
keyboard pics 006b.jpg
I have found a new source for an LED backlight.
a cut down net book screen, the total thickness of the backlight is no more than the screen i already made.
found this in amongst my old computer junk from when I was doing repairs and upgrades.
this should have much better illumination. I might sacrifice one of my old Ilford photographic enlarger filters
to change the colour of the backlight.

One question, LEDS on net book backlights are parallel yes?

cheers.
Attachments
netbook screen 001a.jpg
netbook screen 003b.jpg
Digitech studio 400
Alesis SR-16
Boss Dr550mk2

parametric
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Great Britain

Unread post by parametric » Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:54 am

mscott wrote:I might sacrifice one of my old Ilford photographic enlarger filters
to change the colour of the backlight.
You still have the Ilford Multigrade filter set?

Me too - somewhere - (from a previous life . . . :D )

Just a thought - perhaps the firms that do theatrical lighting "Gels" provide (free-hopefully) swatch-books to choose from?

The samples in them will probably be big enough to use 8)

parametric
Alesis Fusion 8SSD AND 6SSD - BOTH are 384Mb/120Gb SSD/Akai ADVANCE61/Yamaha MOXF6/1024Mb Flash Ram/Yamaha SY85/8.5mb vol/1024k non-vol/DX21/Roland MT32/Bachmann double overstrung Baby Grand Piano/Win10 Pro/Ubuntu MATE 15.0.4/iBook G4/Mac OS 10.4.6/ProTools 7.4/MBox2/M-Audio 24/96 Sector101 2x SYEMB06 / 4 x EXM-E3 128MB DRAM Module

Watch out now! take care, BEWARE of the greedy leaders! They'll take you where you should not go - (George Harrison)

mscott

Unread post by mscott » Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:40 am

Still got them, up until a few years back still had all my dark room gear.
ilfordfilters_a.jpg
Theater light gels, great idea :-)

For some nerdness 8) It would be really cool if the strip of leds were RGB leds,
then change the colour of the backlight with a switch on the back of the synth.
red green blue, or any combination of. :-D
Digitech studio 400
Alesis SR-16
Boss Dr550mk2

parametric
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Great Britain

Unread post by parametric » Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:17 am

mscott wrote:Still got them, up until a few years back still had all my dark room gear.
Yes, I have much of mine too (bulk film loader, Kodak BeeHive Safes, enlarger Timers, BIG Junghans clockwork resetable timer, Patterson Tanks/Spirals, 35mm and 6x6 contact sheet printer, 4x5 Polaroid Back)

Hell. Digital is great and convenient - but I DO MISS the traditional stuff. I learned on a Gandolfi Wood and Brass 4"x5" - graduating to MPP MK7 and eventually Sinar (F and P). I was using Ilford HP3 4x5 glass plates back then, they were 200ASA - just before all the films "magically" doubled in speed overnight . . . . Blads Bronicas and Nikons and Olympus OM4 came later - then I moved out of photography . . . . .

My Brain WON'T deal with a digital "film" that can be any ASA you want it to be. When I had Tri-X inside, I KNEW where I was . . . IYKWIM . . .
mscott wrote:Theater light gels, great idea :-)

For some nerdness 8) It would be really cool if the strip of leds were RGB leds,
then change the colour of the backlight with a switch on the back of the synth.
red green blue, or any combination of. :-D
That would be "DELUXE" 8) I don't think most of us musos are used to "deluxe" - might come as a bit of a shock :D

VERY cool idea though . . .

(I still have my Nikon F PhotFTN, an Olympus OM10 and a Pentax Spotmatic)
Tried my 400mm Sigma Tele on my Cousin's Nikon S80 recently - only manual - but do-able, massive magnification but tripod DEFINITELY required - the LENS has a Tripod socket fortunately) 8O

parametric

Damn! I just remembered - I've still got an exposed roll of KXP-135-36 . . . .

Wonder if ANYONE will ever do a K14 process again?

mscott

Unread post by mscott » Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:01 am

I cut my teeth on an AE-1, traditional stuff ... i still have my cameras. crazy thing i picked a few years back,
an FD-EF adaptor ring to put my canon FD mount lenses on my EOS digital,
so having a sigma 600mm mirror lens on a DSLR @ 1.6 crop is mammoth focal length.
best old camera i have is the pentax K1000
I dont remember what brand my enlarger was, it looked like a 1950's salon hair dryer.

There has to be someone around to process K14 i still see camera stores here
with reala, sensia and velvia in the fridge.

A quick search of ebay reveals RGB SMD LEDS are about, but not at 5v
and spaced a bit to far apart, and have to get a 5 or 10m roll just for a 5cm section.
white leds with ilford filter will be fine :)
Digitech studio 400
Alesis SR-16
Boss Dr550mk2

Dr. Woland

Unread post by Dr. Woland » Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:43 pm

mscott wrote:Schematic is the midi inverter board and what I did to disconnect inverter power
and still have midi working.
Vdd to this board powers both midi and inverter, so disconnecting the vdd
to run the back light also disables midi.
Doing this has an audio out that is clean, barley any noise audible.

As for the cable to the display board, I think I'll use strips of balsa wood
(medium hard strip) with the heat shrink. not as brutal as strips of aluminum,
also because I cant find little strips of aluminum anywhere.

FZ-1_midi_inverter_board.jpg

one other thing, Floppy drive in the FZ-1 has a dodgy belt, just like the SY77.
PC floppy conversion to be done after the screen is finished. although not as simple
as a floppy conversion in an SY77. What was casio smoking when they designed this :)
Hello, sorry for digging up this rather old thread. I have a Casio FZ-1 with a barely readable display, which means the EL is long gone. I've read lot of stories about perfectly working FZ-1's with dead display / broken ribbon cable. So I've decided to just leave the EL and unplug it. But if I understand this post correctly, unplugging the EL will also disable midi? So cutting the 2 tracks on the pcb will again enable midi? Just want to make sure on this. Thanks!

Morning Guts
Angola

Unread post by Morning Guts » Tue May 30, 2017 9:15 pm

+1 for Dr. Woland's question.

Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Unread post by Saul » Tue May 30, 2017 10:47 pm

Morning Guts wrote:
Tue May 30, 2017 9:15 pm
+1 for Dr. Woland's question.
Welcome to the forum :)

I assume you have the same problem with a Casio FZ-1 ?
Saul
Site Admin
FREE Home Recording Training Video Course
Follow me on Twitter @YamahaForums
Follow Us On Facebook
Epiphone EJ-200CE/Taylor 114e ES2/Yamaha FG830/Roland Juno DS88/Pianoteq Pro/Amplitube 3.0/Apple iPad Air 2/Apple iMac 27"/GarageBand 10.0.3/Logic Pro X/Absynth 5/Ableton Live 8/KRK Rokit RP5 G3 Monitors/Focusrite Scarlett2i2 2nd gen
Mac & PC Computer Repairs, Upgrades. Web Hosting, Installation and Design www.thegraphicscompany.uk

Return to “Casio”