Yamaha MEP4

Kick back and talk about anything here. Music or non Music related..Anything goes....within reason!

Moderators: parametric, Derek, Clyde, Saul, Fozzer

Yamaha MEP4

Unread postby Clyde » Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:19 am

For anyone that may be looking for a Yamaha MEP4 midi event processor, there are currently two of them on eBayUS. They are said to be in full working order, I have no connection to or knowledge about the sellers. The MEP4 is a very useful tool (often nicknamed the Swiss Army knife of MIDI"), I've been using two of them in my home studio since the late '80s and still use them today. I did a short review of them on this website in the equipment review area.
Clyde
DX7IIFD, SY77, SY99, Hammond C3, Steinway L, CP300, AW1600, etc.
Clyde
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Yamaha MEP4

Unread postby novoline » Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:56 am

I'm considering getting one of these- what is the extent of the capabilities of the midi echo/delay feature?
novoline

Unread postby Clyde » Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:09 am

I'd have to look up the maximum times in the manual, not something I normally use them for as that can eat up polyphony in a hurry. You can set delays of a note or echoes (which is actually just repeats of a note though you can set lower velocities for each repeat) and I find that an outboard effects unit is much better at producing echoes without affecting polyphony. I have my MEP4s setup to take program change messages from my master keyboard and send the correct program change to every midi device in my setup, I also use them to convert some controller messages to other controller messages in real time, add or subtract velocity from notes with or without specific note ranges, the possibilities are almost limitless, you have to use your imagination to decide what you want them to do then program the processors to carry out your intent. You may want to download the MEP4 manual ad read through it, and that is only the basics of what can be done.
Clyde
Clyde
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Unread postby novoline » Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:56 am

Thanks Clyde, I did download the manual and I've started to read it. It seems there's no way to set up a simple delay/echo based on the clock, that's a pity. I see its advantages as far as amalgamating prog changes though.
Also- yes I can imagine it will eat up polyphony in a hurry, but with what i'm doing I like working with the accidents that happen with the limitations of the equipment i'm using.
novoline

Unread postby cnp » Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:54 pm

Hello,

My first post here.

I'm interested in the MEP4 and (before getting one) I was wondering if I could use it for
changing the velocity behaviour of incoming MIDI-notes.

I was initially thinking about a way to add a certain offset, but scaling
seems suitable as well. Even better perhaps.

So EXPAND seems suited for this, right ?

Thanks & best regards
cnp

Unread postby Clyde » Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:45 pm

Hi cnp,
Welcome to the Forums! Tell me exactly what you want to do and I'll try to steer you in the right direction as far as implementing it on the MEP4.
Clyde
Clyde
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Unread postby cnp » Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:00 pm

Hello Clyde, thanks for the response. I haven't got the MEP4 yet, but reading a review made me aware of the OFFSET function as well. So both scaling (by EXPAND) & shifting (by OFFSET) seem possible, so it looks like it sure can do what I'd like it to do...

(or should I simply replace the drumtriggers for more sensitivity ?! ;-)

Best regards
cnp

Unread postby cnp » Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:04 pm

Hello,

Please allow me some more pre-checking... anybody aware of a PC-editor for this machine ?

I saw that MIDIquest (Soundquest) has a template for the MEP4, but the picture doesn;t show up.

An editor will probably defeat the reason for doing MIDI-processing in 19"-hardware (at least I assume an computer can easily do what the MEP4 does, but please correct me if I'm wrong) but such a hardware-box more fun I think.

Bye
cnp

Unread postby Clyde » Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:31 am

Either expand or offset would work for your needs, IMO offset would be more precise initially. There may well be some old software for editing the MEP4, but be aware the MEP4 went out of production many years ago (early '90s if I remember correctly). There were a few similar devices made (some much later time frame), I started using the MEP4 in '87. Once you get used to hexadecimal numbering it gets much easier and really doesn't require that much time to program (5-10 min for each of my user memories I make). And there are likely some computer programs that could do the same thing, but I can't say that for sure. I have never searched for those, or have I looked for a computer editor, I took the computer out of my system many years ago because I prefer to work with hardware rather than spending time solving software, connection, and other assorted issues rather than playing or composing. And when you find that piece of software that is easy to use and does exactly what you want, the computer manufacturers will change their OS and many times that software will no longer run when you get your new computer and the software manufacturer may or may not upgrade the software for a new operating system. For many people, computers work well integrated into their keyboard system, I just got tired of the headaches and constantly having to buy new software, the learning curve with each new piece of software, and the various other assorted computer issues that seemed to plague my system. So decide what choices work best for you and go for it, you can reach the same end result from many different roads/paths, do what you feel comfortable with. If you do get an MEP4, I'll be happy to answer any questions about it that I can.
Clyde
Clyde
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Return to Chill Out Room