RE: Sony mp3 Walkman (help?)

Kick back and talk about anything here. Music or non Music related..Anything goes....within reason!

Moderators: parametric, Derek, Saul, Fozzer

Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Re: RE: Sony mp3 Walkman (help?)

Unread post by Saul » Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:53 pm

It takes no time at all to use social media. Why do you think it does? I spend maybe ten minutes a day checking posts and sometimes sharing things. The world moves forward and I move with it and this forum needs to also move with the times. Forums are a dying format and it's incredibly difficult to keep one running, up to date and to get people to take part. Social media is where it's all happening.

We have a small core of people here who do most of the posting and in an average month although we get high traffic the "active" members i.e the ones that actually post are small in number.

I can post something on social media and get an immediate response and with more views and interaction in one day than we get on here in a month! The last article I wrote and posted to Facebook got over 4000 views in 7 days and was shared across hundreds of other people's social media accounts and is still being shared now. The same article posted here on the forum got just 230 views and one response in two months! I rest my case.

Be careful with cheap laptops. They may seem like a bargain but they can run incredibly slow especially when you start running DAW software and VST's! They just don't have the processing power to keep up.
Saul
Site Admin
FREE Home Recording Training Video Course
Follow me on Twitter @YamahaForums
Follow Us On Facebook
Epiphone EJ-200CE/Taylor 114e ES2/Yamaha FG830/Roland Juno DS88/Pianoteq Pro/Amplitube 3.0/Apple iPad Air 2/Apple iMac 27"/GarageBand 10.0.3/Logic Pro X/Absynth 5/Ableton Live 8/KRK Rokit RP5 G3 Monitors/Focusrite Scarlett2i2 2nd gen
Mac & PC Computer Repairs, Upgrades. Web Hosting, Installation and Design www.thegraphicscompany.uk

monsterjazzlicks
Super Patch Creator
Super Patch Creator
Great Britain

Unread post by monsterjazzlicks » Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:25 am

Saul - I am not being provocative about social media (I think you know that). I can understand why people use it. And I believe people have become millionaires through it! I remember someone on the Cubase forum warning that many forums (similar to this one!) are now thinking of ditching their sites and opening one up within FaceBook instead; simply because of the amount of traffic that runs through it, and because the youth of today use FB almost exclusively. I still won't join those sites though! ha ha...

If I was to buy a (say) 'HP' laptop PC then it would literally be to just use it for online-surfing / eBay / You Tube / Skype / Word / and the EAC thing (ie. it would not be used for DAW or CamTasia - as I have those on my Win_10 work laptop). My (this) Win_XP I have had since college in 1999 is practically held together with rubber-bands (inside and out!). I am astounded I have kept it going for so long. So my choice is to buy a regular consumer £300 laptop and just use my (work) Win_10 exclusively for music (as I pretty much do now). Or have TWO music/video PC's (ie. my current Win_10 and a powerful built-to-spec desktop). It would also enable me to leave a music-station PC permanently set up in my study.

SysExJohn
Uganda

Unread post by SysExJohn » Sat Jun 17, 2017 10:17 am

Saul wrote:
Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:53 pm
Be careful with cheap laptops. They may seem like a bargain but they can run incredibly slow especially when you start running DAW software and VST's! They just don't have the processing power to keep up.
Cheap it may be, but a third generation i5 together with the incredibly solid construction that comes with Lenovo laptops at 125 quid (2nd hand) in my view is a real bargain. I've been able to run SQ01 together with various Garritan libraries quite successfully on a 4GB Acer, XP laptop, coupled with a good quality E-MU sound card, for many years, with only the occasional problem.

What attracted me specifically to the T420 is the inclusion of an eSATA port, which allows me to have the many gigabytes of samples on bigger, faster drives.

Moving to Windows 7 has just become a necessity because of the abandonment of XP support by all/most of the anti-virus companies.

Paul, you're not alone in avoiding the social media of today. I do too. I just feel uncomfortable there, somehow!
Although I can quite see Saul's POV, and it's likely that the quietness of my own MIDI forum is due to my avoidance of the genre.
No matter.
MIDI Tutor forum at http://midi-tutor.proboards.com/index.cgi.
UW500; 2xMU1000 + PLGs AN, DX, VL, VH & PF; SC8850; EWI4000s + VL70m; Samson Graphite 49.
AN1x, Novation X-Station 25. E-MU 02 cardbus + 1616m x 2. Sonar 7 PE. XGworks ST. & SQ01.
Garritan GPO4, COMB2, JABB3, IO, Organs, Steinway, World, Harps + GPO5.

Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Unread post by Saul » Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:09 pm

Sorry John, wasn't referring to your laptop but the cheapo ones available in the likes of Currys etc. They are cheap for a reason!
Saul
Site Admin
Follow Us On Facebook
Epiphone EJ-200CE/Taylor 114e ES2/Yamaha FG830/Roland Juno DS88/Pianoteq Pro/Amplitube 3.0/Apple iPad Air 2/Apple iMac 27"/GarageBand 10.0.3/Logic Pro X/Absynth 5/Ableton Live 8/KRK Rokit RP5 G3 Monitors/Focusrite Scarlett2i2 2nd gen
Mac & PC Computer Repairs, Upgrades. Web Hosting, Installation and Design www.thegraphicscompany.uk

Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Unread post by Saul » Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:20 pm

Paul I would seriously look at that T420 John offered you for £120. If you replaced the hard drive with a SSD it would be like a brand new laptop and of course you can always plug in a larger screen if you want to. Sounds like a good deal to me.
Saul
Site Admin
Follow Us On Facebook

SysExJohn
Uganda

Unread post by SysExJohn » Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:33 pm

Saul wrote:
Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:09 pm
Sorry John, wasn't referring to your laptop but the cheapo ones available in the likes of Currys etc. They are cheap for a reason!
You are, of course, quite right, Saul.
Therefore absolutely no need for an apology. I hadn't taken offence, and I realised afterwards that your response was aimed towards warning Paul of the dangers of cheap, new laptops.
The many very low cost laptops available, using i3 processors or worse, little memory, etc. are definitely to be avoided except for simple tasks.

Just pointing out, to those with limited funds, there are bargains to be had on eBay and similar sites, as long as you're careful, and make sure the seller has good feedback and a reasonable attitude to faulty returns.
An i5 is the minimum IMO, with i7's rarely making an appearance. 8 gig, or more, these days, is pretty well mandatory.
'A' grade, where available, are usually the best buys.
The T420 seems to have been a particularly good, though fairly chunky, product.
A docking station, I've found, is a very cheap, worthwhile upgrade.
UW500; 2xMU1000 + PLGs AN, DX, VL, VH & PF; SC8850; EWI4000s + VL70m; Samson Graphite 49.
AN1x, Novation X-Station 25. E-MU 02 cardbus + 1616m x 2. Sonar 7 PE. XGworks ST. & SQ01.

monsterjazzlicks
Super Patch Creator
Super Patch Creator
Great Britain

Unread post by monsterjazzlicks » Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:56 pm

SysExJohn wrote:
Sat Jun 17, 2017 10:17 am
Cheap it may be, but a third generation i5 together with the incredibly solid construction that comes with Lenovo laptops at 125 quid (2nd hand) in my view is a real bargain. I've been able to run SQ01 together with various Garritan libraries quite successfully on a 4GB Acer, XP laptop, coupled with a good quality E-MU sound card, for many years, with only the occasional problem.

Paul, you're not alone in avoiding the social media of today. I do too. I just feel uncomfortable there, somehow!
Although I can quite see Saul's POV, and it's likely that the quietness of my own MIDI forum is due to my avoidance of the genre.
No matter.
John - I was in Tesco this morning and looking at this one:

https://www.tesco.com/direct/hp-14-14-b ... lsrc=aw.ds

Because I shop with them, I have a £20 voucher off all electrical goods so I would get it for £279.99. It would only be used for general online-surfing, downloading/uploading, and Skype etc. So no DAWs or anything like that. I don't need a large screen or much storage (as I use external HDs). The keyboard has a nice 'action' and I get a full warranty.

What annoys me is that many of the mobile phones you buy now (my Nokia Lumia inc.) come with social-media apps hard-wired. So you are stuck with having the likes of FaceBook and Twitter on your phone (you can't uninstall them!). But most people will be pleased about this as it saves them d/l them, and it's probably a good 'sales-pitch' for the retailer.

There would be absolutely zero point in me opening such accounts because nothing significantly interesting ever happens in my life (that would attract other people wanting to read about it on a daily/weekly basis). I am not saying my own life is 'boring' (because I have plenty of interests), but it does not warrant me posting photos or blogs every month or so. Besides, I would lose interest and energy in typing stuff up every so often. So if I am not interested in posting about my own life, then I am certain nobody else in interested in reading about it! Finally, I don't understand people who message (or whatever the term is) friends who live 2 x mins walk away, or even on the same road? Personally, I find that absurd and lazy.

Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Unread post by Saul » Sat Jun 17, 2017 1:46 pm

Sounds like a good deal. Only negatives I can see are the screen is not HD and it has Windows 10 installed...which will grind to a halt eventually. They no longer proved hard copies of the OS so you have no key with which to reinstall if you need to. The key is actually held on the recovery partition so the first thing you need to do is create a backup of you install before you do anything else. I "think" there are options when you first boot up but not sure, it's in there somewhere though.

As for social media. I am not aware of any mobile phones that come with it hard wired. These are apps and you can remove them very easily if not required. The iPhone doesn't come with any social media installed. You download from the App Store if you want them.

Yes people do text each other even when they live next door but even if your good friends do you want your "friend" sitting in your living room all day?

Sometimes you might find something online you think your friend needs to know about, share it via text or Facebook and they can check it out when they want and it's not lost. It's just a very efficient way of communicating and hence why it's so popular. It has absolutely nothing to do with being lazy. It's the 21st Century and much like all other innovations which were all viewed in the same negative manner when they first appeared it has actually improved communication not dumbed it down.

People communicate now more than they ever did. I can chat with my sister in the USA every day and at any time of the day. I can be walking on the South Downs and she may be shopping in the mall and it's like we are sitting next to each other. We would not have been doing that without social media.

Families and friends all over the world can now easily keep in touch and share memories like never before. People with similar interests can get together where they would never have even known of each others existence 10 years ago. There is a DX21 group on Facebook by the way and what about your mate who does the Cubase courses?

And you know YOU are in control. Read the messages when you want to. Reply when you want to...or don't. Open your mind to what is out there, cherry pick what is actually relevant to you and use it YOUR way.

I don't want to sound like an evangelist for social media but I have personally seen the benefits it brings to peoples lives. Of course if you only ever read the usual sensationalist bollocks printed in the Sun and the Mirror then you will only ever see the worst of social media. It's so much more than that.

Anyway I think that's about it as far as that particular topic goes. Some people love it, some hate it. There it is.
Saul
Site Admin
Follow Us On Facebook

SysExJohn
Uganda

Unread post by SysExJohn » Sat Jun 17, 2017 3:17 pm

Saul wrote:
Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:20 pm
Paul I would seriously look at that T420 John offered you for £120. If you replaced the hard drive with a SSD it would be like a brand new laptop and of course you can always plug in a larger screen if you want to. Sounds like a good deal to me.
Whoops! Perhaps I phrased my contribution incorrectly.
I didn't mean I was selling it, but had just actually bought one at that price from eBay.
My apologies.

Gradually getting stuff installed on it so that it can take over from my current 'workstation'.

Paul, I don't know much about the AMD processors.
Way back I had some experience with them (when I used to build PCs) and they used to be quite good, but very occasionally they wouldn't run some programs. That's so long ago that I suspect they've fixed those issues, but it's enough to make me stay Intel, even though the AMD processors are a good bit less expensive.

For me, I'd want a bit more, an HDMI and an SD port, plus expressport, and an eSATA connection.
But for just surfing the web and day to day stuff it looks okay, as far as I can tell. My knowledge is not up to date though.
HP always used to have a reasonable reputation, don't know whether that's still so.

Like Saul said, I'm still steering clear of Windows 10 for the forseeable future.

I quite like the look of the Acer laptop at £329 on the same page.

Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Unread post by Saul » Sat Jun 17, 2017 4:19 pm

Well even so, I think that was a very good buy John :) Bound to be more bargains like that out there.

AMD make extremely good cpu's these days. The A6 range is easily as good as the i5. It doesn't clock as high but it will run anything you care to throw at it.
Saul
Site Admin
Follow Us On Facebook

monsterjazzlicks
Super Patch Creator
Super Patch Creator
Great Britain

Unread post by monsterjazzlicks » Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:10 pm

Hi,

Had an ultra busy mad week. No time for anything!

Could someone please post me the direct LINK to d/l EAC please? I looked on their site but I think there are a few different things you can d/l, plus some external LINKS. I just don't want to risk d/l the wrong s/w!

Many thanks,

Paul

Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Unread post by Saul » Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:50 pm

I can see why it might be confusing. Had to jump through a number of pages to get it and adverts but hey, they have to make a living right?

Have downloaded and added it below. Hope that helps?
eac-1.3.exe.zip
(4.78 MiB) Not downloaded yet
Saul
Site Admin
Follow Us On Facebook

monsterjazzlicks
Super Patch Creator
Super Patch Creator
Great Britain

Unread post by monsterjazzlicks » Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:11 pm

Thanks Saul,

Thats great.

Yes, there are a number of LINKs and d/ls on the site!

I will d/l your zip. tomorrow.

Cheers,

Paul

monsterjazzlicks
Super Patch Creator
Super Patch Creator
Great Britain

Unread post by monsterjazzlicks » Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:46 pm

Saul,

Is there something wrong with the 'thanks' buttons? When I clicked on it a message kept saying 'INVALID LINK'!

Ta,

Paul

Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Unread post by Saul » Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:57 pm

Worked fine just now. By the way where has your avatar gone?
Saul
Site Admin
Follow Us On Facebook

Return to “Chill Out Room”