Good Roland forum?

All Roland Keyboard and equipment that doesn't have a dedicated section

Moderators: parametric, Derek, Saul, Fozzer

Lemming

Good Roland forum?

Unread post by Lemming » Mon Nov 30, 2015 3:23 pm

I'm playing catch-up and registering on various forums for all my kit.

I tried registering here: http://www.rolandforums.co.uk/ but it says "New membership accounts are not accepted at this time." Is the forum still active?

If it isn't are there any other good ones around?

Cheers,

Mark
___________________________________________________________________________________
In and out of soul/funk/motown bands, writer of dance/big-beat stuff when others don't depend on me.
Summary: eclectic.

My hot topic: getting the iMac set up...
Kit list:
Current... TX802, TX81Z (PCB repaired), M1, Prophecy, Electribe ER1, Novation Nova, Novation Drumstation, Roland JV1010 (+60s/70s keys), a real piano, Alto 61, Roland VK-7.
Outboard etc... MPX100, TC M300, 3630, MDX4400, Line6 RotoMachine, Spirit Folio SX mixer, Behringer 1002 sub-mixer, PX2000 patchbay, UCA222 USB I/F, FCA202 FW I/F.
Past... PSS570 (long gone), PSR 3500 (also gone), SW60XG (needs ISA PC; if anyone wants to buy, let me know!)

Lemming

Re: Good Roland forum?

Unread post by Lemming » Mon Nov 30, 2015 3:30 pm

Although in fairness having scanned down, it seems this forum will probably cover everything Rolandy I need to know! 8)
___________________________________________________________________________________
In and out of soul/funk/motown bands, writer of dance/big-beat stuff when others don't depend on me.

Kit list:
Current... TX802, TX81Z (PCB repaired), M1, Prophecy, Electribe ER1, Novation Nova, Novation Drumstation, Roland JV1010 (+60s/70s keys), a real piano, Alto 61, Roland VK-7.
Outboard etc... MPX100, TC M300, 3630, MDX4400, Line6 RotoMachine, Spirit Folio SX mixer, Behringer 1002 sub-mixer, PX2000 patchbay, UCA222 USB I/F, FCA202 FW I/F.
Past... PSS570 (long gone), PSR 3500 (also gone), SW60XG (needs ISA PC; if anyone wants to buy, let me know!)

Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Unread post by Saul » Mon Nov 30, 2015 3:36 pm

That's odd. Doesn't seem to have been any new posts on there since the 4th November. Even more odd given it's Roland's own forum.

I know Roland have been in some financial trouble recently so perhaps that may have something to do with it.

I'm a Roland fan myself and have had quite a few of their keyboards over the years, although I have also done a lot of complaining about them too ;)

I can only suggest instrument specific sites, although I'm not sure what Roland gear you have? Also of course myself and other members here will be happy to help out if we can.
Saul
Site Admin
FREE Home Recording Training Video Course
Follow me on Twitter @YamahaForums
Follow Us On Facebook
Epiphone EJ-200CE/Taylor 114e ES2/Yamaha FG830/Roland Juno DS88/Pianoteq Pro/Amplitube 3.0/Apple iPad Air 2/Apple iMac 27"/GarageBand 10.0.3/Logic Pro X/Absynth 5/Ableton Live 8/KRK Rokit RP5 G3 Monitors/Focusrite Scarlett2i2 2nd gen
Mac & PC Computer Repairs, Upgrades. Web Hosting, Installation and Design www.thegraphicscompany.uk

Lemming

Unread post by Lemming » Mon Nov 30, 2015 3:55 pm

Ok, thanks for that.

I might have to copy my personal kit-list down into my signature for completeness, although as a hobbiest it won't be that impressive!

It was mainly for my JV-1010- I'm currently using Sound Diver to edit its sounds, but as times have moved on since it was written and support has long gone, it's functioning is a little flaky on my XP machine so I was just wondering if any kind soul has written anything more recent that does the same job, a la http://the-all.org/tx81z/ for example.

So- if anyone has any pointers on that I'd appreciate that! :)

Mark

Kit list:

tux
Kiribati

Unread post by tux » Mon Nov 30, 2015 5:18 pm

Best Roland forum I know of is:
http://forums.rolandclan.com/
(I hope I'm not breaking any new rules by linking to it? :? )
My Yamaha RM50 page
My Yamaha synths: RM50, TG77, TG500, EX5R, CS6R (with PLG150-AN and PLG150-DX)

Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Unread post by Saul » Mon Nov 30, 2015 5:37 pm

That's fine Tux. Thanks for posting. Not sure if we were ever linked there but will check and see what can be done ;)
Saul
Site Admin
Follow Us On Facebook
Epiphone EJ-200CE/Taylor 114e ES2/Yamaha FG830/Roland Juno DS88/Pianoteq Pro/Amplitube 3.0/Apple iPad Air 2/Apple iMac 27"/GarageBand 10.0.3/Logic Pro X/Absynth 5/Ableton Live 8/KRK Rokit RP5 G3 Monitors/Focusrite Scarlett2i2 2nd gen
Mac & PC Computer Repairs, Upgrades. Web Hosting, Installation and Design www.thegraphicscompany.uk

Lemming

Unread post by Lemming » Mon Nov 30, 2015 8:49 pm

Cheers- duly joined :)

Kit list:

Ianto

Unread post by Ianto » Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:23 pm

Is that Roland clan forum still active? It seems to be from the posts, but I'm having no email in reply to my (several) attempts to join it.

I've been trying to find someone who knows what compact flash cards are suitable for my edirol r-1 digital recorder, and Roland itself aren't any help, unfortunately.

Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Unread post by Saul » Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:07 pm

Ianto wrote:Is that Roland clan forum still active? It seems to be from the posts, but I'm having no email in reply to my (several) attempts to join it.

I've been trying to find someone who knows what compact flash cards are suitable for my edirol r-1 digital recorder, and Roland itself aren't any help, unfortunately.
I vaguely remember there being something about registrations being on hold for some reason. Might be they are trying to sort out a technical glitch with the froum.

Anyway for your Edirol r-1 you'll need one of these :

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&key ... g9rua4ln_b
Saul
Site Admin
Follow Us On Facebook

Ianto

Unread post by Ianto » Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:16 am

Saul wrote: I vaguely remember there being something about registrations being on hold for some reason. Might be they are trying to sort out a technical glitch with the froum.
Ah! It seems to be still going from the posts, so that sounds likely. Ta!
Saul wrote:or your Edirol r-1 you'll need one of these :

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&key ... g9rua4ln_b
Yes, those are the type of things, thanks!
Trouble is I've tried a 4GB compact flash card made by Kensington and it didn't seem to work.

At the risk of going off topic on a Yamaha forum, I've been trying to increase it's memory as I'm using it for voice recordings (audio books, poetry, that sort of thing). It makes the best recordings of any device I have, so I rather like it. But unfortunately, while the 64MB card which came with it records fifteen minutes of 320kbps MP3, which is workable - if not perfect, it can only record a couple of minutes at 24bit WAV, which is unusable.

The instruction booklet said that the R-1 could use up to 4GB cards (whilst recording a maximum of 2GB in one recording). It also said that not all Compact Flash cards would necessarily work on it, but gave no clue as to which ones would work or not. I bought a 4GB card (Kensington) in the hopes of increasing the recording time on MP3 and being able to try out WAV, but though the device said it formatted the card (suspiciously instantaneously), it didn't record with it (going straight to the "no song" message when I tried, which the booklet said was a symptom of the card not actually being formatted.)

Askin Roland themselves about the matter, they replied (I paraphrase) "Oo, that's an old one! We don't know, and because it's old, won't look into it for you. Have you looked in the instruction booklet? Tell you what, have you tried googling it? Someone on the internet might know." Which wasn't the greatest of help.

Other than throwing good money after bad, and buying more cards at random to see which ones - if any -work, I was hoping someone might have some suggestions on the matter. It might be just too old to work with modern Compact Flash cards, I don't know. But don't have the money or knowledge to experiment, as it were.

Secondly, I do voice recordings, as I say, then a minimum of cutting and pasting on audacity, and overlaying one or maybe two layer(s) of occasional music/sound effects through the same before writing it off.

Would using WAV as the base recording make a difference? To be honest, I find it difficult to tell the difference just listening to it on a half decent home stereo. However, some people have said a WAV recording is better for things like that. If there would be minimal difference, I can at least forget about it and work with MP3 (though it would be nice to increase the recording time on even that.)

Sorry for this rather off topic meandering query, and no worries if no one has a clue or an answer! And thanks for the help up until now.

Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Unread post by Saul » Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:48 am

Your fine going off topic on this forum. Most threads meander all over the place but we usually get back to the original topic eventually ;)

I see your problem and it's something that did affect a lot of early devices. Some keyboards whilst saying they take a type of memory module often will not work with many different makes.

I have a 2Gb CF card kicking around here somewhere which I will be happy to send you. I'm never going to use it so your more than welcome to it. Just pm me your address and I will get it off to you as soon as I find it. I "think" I know where it is but will check over the weekend.

On the subject of wav vs mp3 you could certainly record in wav and either stick with that or convert to mp3 for more general distribution, if that's what you had in mind. The advantage of wav is that it is uncompressed so "technically" better quality however keep in mind that the human ear can only detect a certain range of frequencies so very often you will not notice the difference when a wav file is converted to a compression format such as mp3. Wav files will of course be much larger though.

With regard to Roland I think you will find that their customer service has not been great over the years. We have had people on this forum who would not go near Roland gear because of the treatment they have received in the past. Certainly I have had bad experiences with them although they are improving. I could speak to them though, I have contacts there but can't guarantee I would get any better result than you have already had.
Saul
Site Admin
Follow Us On Facebook

Ianto

Unread post by Ianto » Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:46 pm

Yes, I have found it difficult to tell the difference between the two myself, as I say! It would be good to have the quarter of an hour maximum extended a bit though.

Thank you for your help, pm sent.

parametric
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Great Britain

Unread post by parametric » Sun Jan 15, 2017 2:08 am

Hi Ianto, and welcome . . .

Re: CFCards - My two Fusion's (can) use them, but only up to 4Gb. I also have an M-Audio Microtrack recorder 24/96 which uses them. I've tried up to 8Gb so far.

Kingston is a good brand, as is SanDisk . . It's best to stay with the named brands generally.

I have a Satellite receiver that does it's OS updates via usb pen drive . . . The Manual said only Kingston supported, and amazingly - it was true . . .OTHERS would NOT work . . .

CF Cards are rather old technology these days. In the beginning, they were the choice for high-end DSLRs, as they replaced the MicroDrives that went before (ACTUALLY a CF-sized hard disk - I still have one). Wikipedia may help with this . . .

Best to avoid the more exotic faster versions that were produced later. They are less likely to be compatible with your device.

Try and determine from the age of your board - Which CF Card types were around then . . . . Presumably the Manual is NOT that forthcoming - perhaps only mentioning a capacity limit? (rather than TYPE)

Smaller sizes TOO are becoming harder to find. I resorted to ebay and was able to buy Six 2Gb cards for little money.

Here's where I have bought some . . .http://www.morgancomputers.co.uk/c/435/Compact-Flash/

Hope that helps

parametric
Alesis Fusion 8SSD AND 6SSD - BOTH are 384Mb/120Gb SSD/Akai ADVANCE61/Yamaha MOXF6/1024Mb Flash Ram/Yamaha SY85/8.5mb vol/1024k non-vol/DX21/Roland MT32/Bachmann double overstrung Baby Grand Piano/Win10 Pro/Ubuntu MATE 15.0.4/iBook G4/Mac OS 10.4.6/ProTools 7.4/MBox2/M-Audio 24/96 Sector101 2x SYEMB06 / 4 x EXM-E3 128MB DRAM Module
BRAND NEW DSDD (720k) FLOPPY DISKS FOR SALE - viewtopic.php?f=22&t=9217

Watch out now! take care, BEWARE of the greedy leaders! They'll take you where you should not go - (George Harrison)

IT'S TRUE - "MONEY TALKS" - TO ME, IT MOSTLY SAYS "GOODBYE" ;-)
http://www.chrisnmiller.co.uk/Chris

Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Unread post by Saul » Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:17 pm

Ianto wrote:Yes, I have found it difficult to tell the difference between the two myself, as I say! It would be good to have the quarter of an hour maximum extended a bit though.

Thank you for your help, pm sent.
Didn't receive that pm. Can you try sending again? or just email me admin@yamahaforums.co.uk
Saul
Site Admin
Follow Us On Facebook

Return to “Roland”