KORG 'Liverpool' Arranger

Korg's mini key arranger series including the original microARRANGER and the later 'Liverpool' variant.

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul, Fozzer

Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

KORG 'Liverpool' Arranger

Unread post by Saul » Mon Dec 14, 2015 2:32 pm

Kong just sent me their new 'Liverpool' themed microARRANGER keyboard. Not had time to check it out yet and also they forgot half of the power lead but will do a review as soon as possible.

I did own the original microARRANGER for a few weeks and I remember it was quite a lot of fun so will be interesting to see if this new one is any different :)
Saul
Site Admin
FREE Home Recording Training Video Course
Follow me on Twitter @YamahaForums
Follow Us On Facebook
Epiphone EJ-200CE/Taylor 114e ES2/Yamaha FG830/Roland Juno DS88/Pianoteq Pro/Amplitube 3.0/Apple iPad Air 2/Apple iMac 27"/GarageBand 10.0.3/Logic Pro X/Absynth 5/Ableton Live 8/KRK Rokit RP5 G3 Monitors/Focusrite Scarlett2i2 2nd gen
Mac & PC Computer Repairs, Upgrades. Web Hosting, Installation and Design www.thegraphicscompany.uk

Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Re: KORG 'Liverpool' Arranger

Unread post by Saul » Tue Dec 15, 2015 11:55 pm

Still waiting for the power lead however, was just looking at the connections for the 'Liverpool' and realised there is no USB 8O

I just automatically assumed that since we are close to the year 2016 that there 'of course' would be a usb connection. I just don't know what to say at this point :roll:
Saul
Site Admin
Follow Us On Facebook
Epiphone EJ-200CE/Taylor 114e ES2/Yamaha FG830/Roland Juno DS88/Pianoteq Pro/Amplitube 3.0/Apple iPad Air 2/Apple iMac 27"/GarageBand 10.0.3/Logic Pro X/Absynth 5/Ableton Live 8/KRK Rokit RP5 G3 Monitors/Focusrite Scarlett2i2 2nd gen
Mac & PC Computer Repairs, Upgrades. Web Hosting, Installation and Design www.thegraphicscompany.uk

zpink

Unread post by zpink » Wed Dec 16, 2015 12:45 am

The question is, Does that say more about you or more about the keyboard? :wink:

Jokes aside, funny what we take for granted these days.
Was actually discussing pre mobile times at work today. ... oh dear.... lol
zpink
Swedish chap hailing from Staines-Upon-Thames.
Noise-making gear: Cubase Elements 8, Korg Electribe 2, Yamaha MOXF6, Novation Mininova, two guitars run through a Boss GT10 and couple of jaw-harps.
Oh yeah, and the Novation KS4 is now hooked up again(even though it has to rest vertically when not used)!
https://www.youtube.com/user/zpinkLondonBelow
https://soundcloud.com/london-below

Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Unread post by Saul » Wed Dec 16, 2015 9:11 am

Well what it says about me is I move with the times, which "apparently" some keyboard designers don't ;)

USB should be standard on any keyboard both for the transfer of sound files and sometimes as an audio/midi interface. Just providing an SD Card slot is not really on in 2015.

It does have standard din type midi ports though but then you would need a midi interface if you wanted to connect the thing to your computer. I have one but many people will not.

I just think for £500 a usb port is not too much to ask for?
Saul
Site Admin
Follow Us On Facebook

zpink

Unread post by zpink » Wed Dec 16, 2015 9:51 am

Yeah I agree. USB MIDI and an editor is/should be standard these days. Heck, most analogue gear even comes with it!

Still funny what we've come to expect. ;-)
zpink
Swedish chap hailing from Staines-Upon-Thames.
Noise-making gear: Cubase Elements 8, Korg Electribe 2, Yamaha MOXF6, Novation Mininova, two guitars run through a Boss GT10 and couple of jaw-harps.
Oh yeah, and the Novation KS4 is now hooked up again(even though it has to rest vertically when not used)!
https://www.youtube.com/user/zpinkLondonBelow
https://soundcloud.com/london-below

parametric
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Great Britain

Unread post by parametric » Wed Dec 16, 2015 2:04 pm

Yes, these ommisions are extremely annoying.

Looking back, I think the writing has been on the wall for some long time . . . .

When the SY85 was released - it came with a 720k floppy drive. Was the 1.44Mb drive REALLY not current at that point?

(you can see where this is going) SOMEONE has been running around saying "Less, is more" . . . (probably an accountant?)

A cynical move to obselete our gear faster - so we have to buy NEW, more often?

Look at the hoops we've had to jump through (in this forum) to enable our SY85s (and others) to remain useable . . . . .

Manufacturers need to re-evaluate exactly WHO their customers are.

Musicians are DIFFERENT.

Generally engaged in creating Music (whether Live or Studio-based) we generally have developed ways of working that make the creative process as transparent as possible - and we don't therefore take kindly to anything that seek to impede that with incompatabilties (designed in, OR accidental) and ODD, proprietry file formats, that seek to push us down paths we don't want to go. The "Standard" formats are there for a reason - so just include them . . .

Whilst "Johnny-come-lately" will go with the bundled DAW that comes with the instrument he has just acquired - (caring less that it happens to be owned by the instrument maker) - the experienced user who has used DAW "Brand A" for the last 15 years, is UNLIKELY to want to learn it all again - and so will most likely walk away from the instrument when this shortcoming is revealed.

So - the lesson for today is about transparency and compatability. They will BOTH result in increased sales. Don't alienate established users, just because they DON'T use YOUR DAW . . . .

You will continue to sell your own DAW anyway . . . . (look on that as a bonus) - but don't KILL "Choice" . . . .

parametric
Alesis Fusion 8SSD AND 6SSD - BOTH are 384Mb/120Gb SSD/Akai ADVANCE61/Yamaha MOXF6/1024Mb Flash Ram/Yamaha SY85/8.5mb vol/1024k non-vol/DX21/Roland MT32/Bachmann double overstrung Baby Grand Piano/Win10 Pro/Ubuntu MATE 15.0.4/iBook G4/Mac OS 10.4.6/ProTools 7.4/MBox2/M-Audio 24/96 Sector101 2x SYEMB06 / 4 x EXM-E3 128MB DRAM Module
BRAND NEW DSDD (720k) FLOPPY DISKS FOR SALE - viewtopic.php?f=22&t=9217

Watch out now! take care, BEWARE of the greedy leaders! They'll take you where you should not go - (George Harrison)

IT'S TRUE - "MONEY TALKS" - TO ME, IT MOSTLY SAYS "GOODBYE" ;-)
http://www.chrisnmiller.co.uk/Chris

Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Unread post by Saul » Wed Dec 16, 2015 2:34 pm

Agree with everything you said there Chris.

The thing about leaving off a USB port or forcing people use outdated methods or working or storage tells you a lot about a company. It should be all about the 'customer' not all about what is convenient and cost effective for the company.

If everything you do is not customer focused then you will...eventually, lose those customers, hence why Derek now uses a KORG KRONOS rather than a Yamaha XF. So there is two grand or more Yamaha could have had if they had listened to customers and paid attention to how things were moving in the synth world.

As for this lack of usb on the Liverpool Arranger I really can't figure it out. What on earth were they thinking?
Saul
Site Admin
Follow Us On Facebook

parametric
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Great Britain

Unread post by parametric » Wed Dec 16, 2015 3:25 pm

Yes indeed Saul,

Derek was exactly who I was thinking about. It PROVES that Musicians WILL go elsewhere, if "underwhelmed" :)

Although I was much heartened by my recent two encounters with Yamaha which I enjoyed very much, I do have to admit to some concern over the direction they may be taking . . .

I do not want to see them following the same path as AVID, who sell ProTools and Sibelius. AVID (IMO) seems to have become a collection of accountants with a mission statement of the "take it or leave it" kind. Their wholesale sacking of the Sibelius development team shocked many - as did their response to customer concerns on hearing the news. They seem to love only MONEY - and see themselves as a milking machine, designed to extract as much as they can from their customers.

Happily, Daniel Spreadbury's Team is now well into the next generation Notation Package, under the Steinberg/Yamaha umbrella - and I understand that it will import the open source .xml files . . . . THIS is the transparnecy I was talking about . . . (Y)

Whilst Korg should be applauded for retaining "Real" midi I/O socketry, it does seem strange to omit the USB device socket (Type B) - as devices are increasingly fitted with this . . . .

Functionality CAN vary however. My Fusion has a Type B device socket, but it only allows the Fusion to become a huge external drive case, and is only there to permit upload/download to/from the Fusion's internal HD.

So the presence of a Type B does not GUARANTEE Audio or Midi I/O 8O

Probably true to say that in more recent boards, in fact it DOES offer this (MOXF for example) BEST to check, even so . . .

parametric
Alesis Fusion 8SSD AND 6SSD - BOTH are 384Mb/120Gb SSD/Akai ADVANCE61/Yamaha MOXF6/1024Mb Flash Ram/Yamaha SY85/8.5mb vol/1024k non-vol/DX21/Roland MT32/Bachmann double overstrung Baby Grand Piano/Win10 Pro/Ubuntu MATE 15.0.4/iBook G4/Mac OS 10.4.6/ProTools 7.4/MBox2/M-Audio 24/96 Sector101 2x SYEMB06 / 4 x EXM-E3 128MB DRAM Module
BRAND NEW DSDD (720k) FLOPPY DISKS FOR SALE - viewtopic.php?f=22&t=9217

Watch out now! take care, BEWARE of the greedy leaders! They'll take you where you should not go - (George Harrison)

IT'S TRUE - "MONEY TALKS" - TO ME, IT MOSTLY SAYS "GOODBYE" ;-)
http://www.chrisnmiller.co.uk/Chris

Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Unread post by Saul » Wed Dec 16, 2015 5:25 pm

Ok so managed to get some details from Korg about why the 'Liverpool' does not have USB. I'll hand you over to Ian Bradshaw from Korg;
Liverpool is derived from the microARRANGER and PA50 albeit in a micro format. Pa50 technology was around in the days of Triton when USB wasn’t the “norm”, the Triton TG is what gives these keyboards the big sound. I can only speculate as I don’t know the exact reason but it may have been assumed that 5-pin MIDI was adequate.

This product is aimed at consumers and entry level users, interestingly no one has ever mentioned the lack of USB possibly because they only use it free standing and with out involving a computer of any sort.
So, my guess is this was seen as a case of just plain good economics, pretty much the way Yamaha managed to spin the MOTIF into so many variations over the years.

I'm still waiting on the power lead so have not fired the thing up yet but as I mentioned before, I did own the microARRANGER at one time so I think I pretty much know what to expect and that, at least is a fun little keyboard. Will update later.
Saul
Site Admin
Follow Us On Facebook

Return to “KORG microARRANGER/Liverpool”