Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul, Fozzer

Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

VST's Come To Reason...at last!

Unread post by Saul » Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:28 pm

Propellarhead Reason 9.5 now accepts VST's.png
Propellerhead Software reveal the thing we’ve been waiting for for over a decade in this free update

I remember when Propellerhead 'Reason' first appeared. It was an exciting product, bringing together synths, effects and all sorts of plugins. The one thing It did not do was support VST's and this was a bit of a deal breaker for many. Sure there was plenty on offer within reason itself but, if you had invested in your VST collection it was only reasonable to expect to be able to use them. Well finally you can now use all those lovely VST's "within" reason without resorting to convoluted workarounds.

Last month Propellerhead announced that version 9.5 of Reason would support VST plugins. Not only that, but the expanded level of integration users have come to expect from rack extensions will be available to almost every parameter.

Each plugin instrument or effect loads as a device in the Reason rack, and can be opened in its own window or bypassed from there. Device can accept note inputs using Reason’s sequencer or Gate and CV signals, and offers audio inputs for sidechaining. Crucially, you also get eight CV inputs, letting you send signals from the rack to modulate any automatable parameter in the plugin.

From our experience with the beta version, the VST experience is exactly as we’ve come to expect from any DAW, and the ability to run some of our favourite instruments and effects as part of the Reason rack is a very welcome addition.

Having CV inputs is something of a revelation, letting us connect LFOs, envelopes and sequencers to controls that didn’t have them before, bringing that ‘anything is possible’ atmosphere back to the DAW. Being able to undo plugin parameter changes with the keyboard shortcut is also brilliant, that being something we missed acutely in the past whenever coming out of Reason into another DAW.

Reason 9.5 is available now. It accepts VST 2.4 (ie, standard VSTs), but not VST 3 or AU plugins.

https://www.propellerheads.se
Saul
Site Admin
FREE Home Recording Training Video Course
Follow me on Twitter @YamahaForums
Follow Us On Facebook
Epiphone EJ-200CE/Taylor 114e ES2/Yamaha FG830/Roland Juno DS88/Pianoteq Pro/Amplitube 3.0/Apple iPad Air 2/Apple iMac 27"/GarageBand 10.0.3/Logic Pro X/Absynth 5/Ableton Live 8/KRK Rokit RP5 G3 Monitors/Focusrite Scarlett2i2 2nd gen
Mac & PC Computer Repairs, Upgrades. Web Hosting, Installation and Design www.thegraphicscompany.uk

Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Re: VST's Come To Reason...at last!

Unread post by Saul » Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:01 pm

If anyone has used VST's with Reason please let us know how it went? Any problems or issues at all?
Saul
Site Admin
FREE Home Recording Training Video Course
Follow me on Twitter @YamahaForums
Follow Us On Facebook
Epiphone EJ-200CE/Taylor 114e ES2/Yamaha FG830/Roland Juno DS88/Pianoteq Pro/Amplitube 3.0/Apple iPad Air 2/Apple iMac 27"/GarageBand 10.0.3/Logic Pro X/Absynth 5/Ableton Live 8/KRK Rokit RP5 G3 Monitors/Focusrite Scarlett2i2 2nd gen
Mac & PC Computer Repairs, Upgrades. Web Hosting, Installation and Design www.thegraphicscompany.uk

Return to “General DAW Questions & Discussion”