Roland's AIRA Keyboard and Module

Moderators: parametric, Derek, Saul

Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Roland AIRA Products Revealed

Unread post by Saul » Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:29 pm

Well the waiting is over. We now know that there are indeed 4 products in the AIRA lineup and as you can see below, a small keyboard version is included.
aira_products.jpg
Roland AIRA
With roots in the very origins of electronic music, AIRA is a new series of products designed to meet the evolving needs of today’s electronic musicians. In the studio or on the stage, AIRA brings genre-defining sounds and modern performance features to a new generation.

While computers dominate so many music production activities today, artists still seek inspiration through the sonic character and responsive feel of traditional analogue hardware. AIRA products emphasise the spontaneous creativity and hands-on performance inspired by these vintage electronic instruments, while integrating neatly into today’s computer-based production environments.

Behind the authentic sound and responsive behaviour of the AIRA products is the newly developed Analogue Circuit Behaviour (ACB) technology. ACB faithfully captures the sound and feel of living, breathing instruments, including some of Roland’s most revered classics.

Beyond their impressive sound and modern versatility, AIRA products feature essential elements for active stage performers and avid tweakers. This means solid build-quality, straight-forward operation and striking good looks.

AIRA combines the organic sound and behaviour of ACB with modern effects like Scatter and thoughtful USB integration with computers and DAWs. Through inspiring, highly playable designs, AIRA products deliver a seamless creative experience that shatters the boundaries between production and performance.
Saul
Site Admin
FREE Home Recording Training Video Course
Follow me on Twitter @YamahaForums
Follow Us On Facebook
Epiphone EJ-200CE/Taylor 114e ES2/Yamaha FG830/Roland Juno DS88/Pianoteq Pro/Amplitube 3.0/Apple iPad Air 2/Apple iMac 27"/GarageBand 10.0.3/Logic Pro X/Absynth 5/Ableton Live 8/KRK Rokit RP5 G3 Monitors/Focusrite Scarlett2i2 2nd gen
Mac & PC Computer Repairs, Upgrades. Web Hosting, Installation and Design www.thegraphicscompany.uk

tux
Kiribati

Re: Roland AIRA Products Revealed

Unread post by tux » Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:18 pm

I'm very tempted by these two, I always wanted a TB303 and a 909:

My Yamaha RM50 page
My Yamaha synths: RM50, TG77, TG500, EX5R, CS6R (with PLG150-AN and PLG150-DX)

Derek
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Wales

Unread post by Derek » Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:41 pm

Forget what they sound like; they seem to appeal to my love of blinking lights! :)
Regards
Derek Cook

http://www.carregddu.co.uk
http://www.echoes-music.co.uk
http://www.xfactory-librarians.co.uk
http://www.ex5tech.com

Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Unread post by Saul » Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:58 pm

Got bored after about 60 seconds. I can never understand why people are so enthusiastic about boxes that make repetitive fake drum sounds. Lights are pretty though ;)
Saul
Site Admin
Follow Us On Facebook
Epiphone EJ-200CE/Taylor 114e ES2/Yamaha FG830/Roland Juno DS88/Pianoteq Pro/Amplitube 3.0/Apple iPad Air 2/Apple iMac 27"/GarageBand 10.0.3/Logic Pro X/Absynth 5/Ableton Live 8/KRK Rokit RP5 G3 Monitors/Focusrite Scarlett2i2 2nd gen
Mac & PC Computer Repairs, Upgrades. Web Hosting, Installation and Design www.thegraphicscompany.uk

Derek
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Wales

Unread post by Derek » Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:40 pm

Saul wrote:Got bored after about 60 seconds. I can never understand why people are so enthusiastic about boxes that make repetitive fake drum sounds. Lights are pretty though ;)
That's what I meant! ;)

Personally, I hate electronic drums; you need dead animal skins stretched over bits of dead tree for a "proper" and powerful drum sound.

At the risk of straying OT, I find cymbals very overrated and quite often overused especially when too high in the mix (and robbing valuable spectrum). I like Peter Gabriel's decision on his third and fourth albums to ban cymbals. It takes you a while to realise that there are none on the albums, but you get a lot more tom work (which I love) and more frequency space for other sounds to breath. A nice Nick Mason ride cymbal ala "Dark Side of the Moon" is very tasteful of course.
Regards
Derek Cook

http://www.carregddu.co.uk
http://www.echoes-music.co.uk
http://www.xfactory-librarians.co.uk
http://www.ex5tech.com

tux
Kiribati

Unread post by tux » Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:34 pm

Saul wrote:Got bored after about 60 seconds. I can never understand why people are so enthusiastic about boxes that make repetitive fake drum sounds. Lights are pretty though ;)
Well that means you aren't into techno/trance/acid house, which is fine, everyone has his own musical taste.

I have been into that kind of music since the early '90s (way before it became mainstream), that's why these two Roland boxes are tempting me, it's not even the sounds (my Yamaha RM50 has the same drum sounds and there are many other TB303 clones around), it's the usability that makes them so great. :D
My Yamaha RM50 page

tux
Kiribati

Unread post by tux » Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:40 pm

Derek wrote:Personally, I hate electronic drums; you need dead animal skins stretched over bits of dead tree for a "proper" and powerful drum sound.
That's what I like about my RM50 so much, I don't know how Yamaha did it but the drum sounds on it are very powerful, noticeably more so than on any other synth that I have heard so far.
My Yamaha RM50 page

Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Unread post by Saul » Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:22 pm

Of course your absolutely right Tux, it's not my thing so all the interest in these boxes is lost on me. Glad though that Roland have gone down that road as they have obviously made a lot of people very happy right now :)
Saul
Site Admin
Follow Us On Facebook

darthdomain

Unread post by darthdomain » Sat Mar 29, 2014 4:25 am

I'm not a drum machine person. I use a real drummer. But i have got the TB3. It's alot of tweaking fun, and is useable in recording due to 127 onboard sounds and sequencer. I'm waiting for user reviews of system one before i decide if i want to add that to my kit collection

swissrolf

Unread post by swissrolf » Sat Dec 24, 2016 6:32 am

More electronic enthusiasts in here? :-)

Regarding the AIRA it is worth mentioning that they are using FPGA technology which has heavily been discussed in several forums. Me and others do not realy see a sense behind that sind nowadays DSP power is suitable and cheaper to solve equations typically derived from analog circuit models. Not 100% sure what Type of FPGA they are using, it is suggested if is an "ARRIA" of Altera.

For those who like to read german:

https://www.mikrocontroller.net/topic/327505#4435621

parametric
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Great Britain

Unread post by parametric » Fri Dec 30, 2016 11:59 pm

Those look very exciting boxes and technically incredibly interesting . . .

When I bought my SY85, it came from a guy who used to write that dance style and it impressed me greatly.

When I tried to create stuff in that style it just wasn't in me, and I discovered that I would not be satisfied to

produce an imitation in a style I was not comfortable with . . . .

I have a TR-505 sitting here that I've never used as a result.

Closest I came was doing the drums to one of my tunes using Hydrogen in Linux, synced to Ardour. Seemed to

demystify the process of arranging drums quite well . . .

Not being that drum-savvy, I tend to play them in on keyboard until it sounds "right".

parametric
Alesis Fusion 8SSD AND 6SSD - BOTH are 384Mb/120Gb SSD/Akai ADVANCE61/Yamaha MOXF6/1024Mb Flash Ram/Yamaha SY85/8.5mb vol/1024k non-vol/DX21/Roland MT32/Bachmann double overstrung Baby Grand Piano/Win10 Pro/Ubuntu MATE 15.0.4/iBook G4/Mac OS 10.4.6/ProTools 7.4/MBox2/M-Audio 24/96 Sector101 2x SYEMB06 / 4 x EXM-E3 128MB DRAM Module
BRAND NEW DSDD (720k) FLOPPY DISKS FOR SALE - viewtopic.php?f=22&t=9217

Watch out now! take care, BEWARE of the greedy leaders! They'll take you where you should not go - (George Harrison)

IT'S TRUE - "MONEY TALKS" - TO ME, IT MOSTLY SAYS "GOODBYE" ;-)
http://www.chrisnmiller.co.uk/Chris

Return to “Roland AIRA”