Yamha MOXF Replacement

Yamaha MOXF6 Music Production Synthesizer boasts a rich collection of instrument voices that includes pianos, electric pianos, strings, wind instruments, orchestral sounds, guitars, basses, and drums, as well as a wide variety of vintage and modern synth sounds.

Moderators: parametric, Derek, Saul, Fozzer

EX5_etc

Re: Yamha MOXF Replacement

Unread postby EX5_etc » Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:34 pm

zpink wrote:
THAT sounds too cheap to be true! Be careful when you sit down on the bench! ;-)

Just reporting back on the bench and the synth...

I sat on that bench and it is holding pretty damn good. My weight is around 150 lbs; the bench can easily take a load of over 200 lbs. Plus you can adjust the height of it.

The AKAI speakers are made of wood and the built quality is higher than anticipated. Everything else is good as well. Not bad for just $50.

As for the Motif XF6... The keybed has a good feeling but that of the SY99 is better. I recall testing the Tyros 4 a few years back. It felt cheap. The XF6 feels way better, but there is something missing to make it equal to the feeling of the SY99.

I'll have my first weekend with the new board now. Made of metal with nothing that feels cheap on it.

DrF

Motif XF6, SY99, SY85, QS300, PSR1000, WX5, EX5R, A5000, TG500, TG55, RM50, QY700, QY100, QX5FD, MJC8, YDP2006, REV500, EMP700, EQ500U, MCS2, AW16G, Axiom Pro 49 and a few other things by Behringer, Evolution, Philips, Tascam, Technical Pro, Yamaha, etc, etc,... I wish I had time to use all this stuff; I am not even pro. :-)
zpink

Unread postby zpink » Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:31 pm

LOL brilliant!
Even though I'm more of an office-chair kinda person myself. ;-)

I'm sure you'll have a great time with the board, they DO sound awesome!

zpink
Swedish chap hailing from Staines-Upon-Thames.
Noise-making gear: Cubase Elements 8, Korg Electribe 2, Yamaha MOXF6, Novation Mininova, two guitars run through a Boss GT10 and couple of jaw-harps.
Oh yeah, and the Novation KS4 is now hooked up again(even though it has to rest vertically when not used)!
https://www.youtube.com/user/zpinkLondonBelow
https://soundcloud.com/london-below
elwoodblues1969
What Country Are You In: United States

Unread postby elwoodblues1969 » Sun Jul 31, 2016 12:19 pm

Well....being that it's slightly past the mid point of 2016,I am already anticipating the Montage replacement(though I am not overly excited about it)...due to the fact that the existing Montage does have a conventional midi sequencer in it.That is...the concept of a touchscreen,is thrilling...but at the same time,the fact that the Montage doesn't have recording capabilities,negates the possibility of a scaled down version having a traditional sequencer in it and to me,having a large touchscreen w-i-t-h-o-u-t a sequencer,is a bit of a waste.
As time goes on and as my computers get constantly & easily bogged down with new software,I find the concept of a hardware workstation included again,in my studio utterly indispensable!Even though I've owned several workstations over the years(Korg M1,Triton EX,M50,M3,Kurzweil PC3LE6 and the Casio PX560)...only the MOXF,will be the "flagship" hardware workstation,that surpasses anything I've ever owner previously and that is astounding,as the MOXF is only a mid-range level board.
Perhaps on-board midi sequencers(as well as on-board multi-track audio recording)...is slowly being phased out in favor of hardware/computer integration...but in my view,flashed-based,hardware workstations are cost effective in their own way,as when you max out a keyboard's memory,you can always replenish it with a fresh USB stick(rather than buying a whole other desktop PC.)
Hardware workstations still have their place though,as recently,Kurzweil added a sequencer to their Forte SE model,Roland's FA series has a sequencer,the Juno DS has a sequencer and of course Korg,is still going strong with their sequencers.There's also that novelty of having the ability to jot down ideas on a keyboard and having the portability and advantage of instant boot up times,will never become dated.
That said,I think hardware sequencers will endure(not on a grand scale)...but still remain available on some level,by some companies.I'd hate to see Yamaha do away with on-board sequencing altogether ,which is why it's so urgent that I grab a MOXF as soon as possible.....as it may very well be the last of their sequencer based keyboards.

Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Saul » Sun Jul 31, 2016 1:43 pm

It looks to me like manufacturers are looking to "offload" sequencing to mobile devices that can easily be connect to the keyboard. Personally I have never gotten on with on-board sequencers. They are way too clunky and too many things to do before you can actually record anything. All I want or need is to press record and whatever I play goes straight to a track. No faffing about with settings just record and go. Once recorded I can then move things around as I wish. That would be fine for me but unfortunately most keyboard sequencers don't work like that. The closest I have seen is Roland's skipback sampling which is constantly recording everything you play, all be it with a limitation of around 45 seconds before it overwrites stuff already in the buffer. My needs are simply though. I'm not putting together any grand orchestrated film scores here or anything like that.

So for me the move away from on-board sequencers is fine but I do appreciate for many that will not be the case.

I am a bit puzzled as to why the price of the MOXF has actually increased by quite an amount here in the UK. Many people are focused on price these days so perhaps allowing the price to increase plays into Roland's hands with the DS and FA.

elwoodblues1969
What Country Are You In: United States

Unread postby elwoodblues1969 » Sun Jul 31, 2016 5:19 pm

Saul wrote:It looks to me like manufacturers are looking to "offload" sequencing to mobile devices that can easily be connect to the keyboard. Personally I have never gotten on with on-board sequencers. They are way too clunky and too many things to do before you can actually record anything. All I want or need is to press record and whatever I play goes straight to a track. No faffing about with settings just record and go. Once recorded I can then move things around as I wish. That would be fine for me but unfortunately most keyboard sequencers don't work like that. The closest I have seen is Roland's skipback sampling which is constantly recording everything you play, all be it with a limitation of around 45 seconds before it overwrites stuff already in the buffer. My needs are simply though. I'm not putting together any grand orchestrated film scores here or anything like that.

So for me the move away from on-board sequencers is fine but I do appreciate for many that will not be the case.

I am a bit puzzled as to why the price of the MOXF has actually increased by quite an amount here in the UK. Many people are focused on price these days so perhaps allowing the price to increase plays into Roland's hands with the DS and FA.

I don't know...perhaps it is my long experience with hardware workstations,that affords me the patience to work with them(being that I started out on the Korg M1,which had a display about the size of the MX's screen.)Computer workstations will always have faster workflow,due to the graphical interface...but even still,when it comes down to mixing,mastering and all of the fine tuning,until the song is polished fully...computer DAW's can be tedious as well.
You really have to enjoy the whole process of recording and that's all you need,to get through it(regardless of what platform you use.)
Actually,in the case of the MOXF,laying down ideas directly into the sequencer from the program mode,is wonderfully easy and being able to layer sounds and saturate them with effects without having to worry about snaps,crackles,pops and crashes...is also a welcome way to create,obviously.
The one slight hindrance is the MOXF's screen,but then having Cubase to go to to finish off a tune,will make the MOXF for me,an all around gratifying experience for me.As for the price increase on the MOXF...well...that's an issue for you in your neck of the woods,but not here(can't possible fathom the reasoning behind that....unless it's just retailers capitalizing on the impending rarity of this product(which really,shouldn't be legal??)
The again though(about 12 years ago)....there was a musical instrument store here in my town and the **shole who ran the place,was charging $329 for a pair of $100 Roland studio monitors and to this day,that was the worst case of blatant greed,I had ever seen,from a music store.
Of course though now,online purchases are so commonplace,that local retailers simply cannot afford to pull such evil schemes as those.

Derek
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Unread postby Derek » Sun Jul 31, 2016 7:07 pm

Saul wrote:It looks to me like manufacturers are looking to "offload" sequencing to mobile devices that can easily be connect to the keyboard. Personally I have never gotten on with on-board sequencers. They are way too clunky and too many things to do before you can actually record anything

I felt that way until I got the Kronos and the first gigs where I was going to use it was a synth duo (me and singer) playing against backing tracks.

The Kronos audio sequencer and Song mode allowed me to put together 16 channels worth of backing tracks (audio and MIDI) that I could play over. So all i needed to do there was take out the Kronos (a luxury compared to the gear I lug in Welsh Floyd!).The fact it was all nicely integrating was excellent (e.g. same master effects over the backing track and what I was playing).

Regards
Derek Cook

http://www.carregddu.co.uk
http://www.echoes-music.co.uk
http://www.xfactory-librarians.co.uk
http://www.ex5tech.com
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Saul » Sun Jul 31, 2016 8:40 pm

You guys have way more patience than me but then the most I am ever recording is guitar, piano, drums and bass. Nothing complex there so I can do it easily in Traktion or GarageBand.

synthury
What Country Are You In: Switzerland.

Unread postby synthury » Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:30 am

Hi there !

I am new to this forum.

Would like to add a Yamaha keyboard to my current gear (still using my SY-77).

In fact, the Montage 6 would be a nice addition, but really pricey in my opinion. This is the reason why I think the MOXF would be interesting : great features at an affordable price.

An upgraded MOXF with let's say some of the new feature of the Montage would be a killer.

Wanted to know if there were any news concerning a possible MOXF replacement in 2017.

Thanks for your feedback.

Regards,

S.

Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Saul » Sat Feb 25, 2017 3:09 pm

Hi S and welcome to the site :)

I agree the MOXF is a rather wonderful keyboard, probably not the most user friendly of interfaces but wonderful just the same.

As for a replacement from Yamaha this year, at the moment I would have to say not. Although we were lead to believe there would be a replacement this has not materialised and all talk from Yamaha of replacing it has dried up. Now of course they could be getting ready to announce something, especially now that Montage has been out long enough to bed in and for most people to understand what it is all about. IF there is going to be anything I would guess it will appear at MusikMesse in April.

Having said that, normally there would be a few murmurs from various Yamaha artists and demonstrators by now as they will have been contacted by Yamaha in order to prep for the big release day and so on. There has been absolutely no activity so far which leads me to believe it could be at least another year before Yamaha release something...if indeed they intend to replace the MOXF at all. While its still selling well they may hold back until sales volumes start to fall. The Montage is way too expensive to drag sales away from the MOXF so nothing to be concerned about there.

So, that brings us back to whether you should buy the MOXF or not? Or should you stump up the extra cash...quite a bit extra for the Montage? In terms of which is better then of course Montage wins hands down but if you look at value for money the MOXF is still top of the hill. Montage is a wonderful instrument but in my personal opinion it is not over £1500 worth of more wonderful!

There is a learning curve with all Yamaha keyboards and it's definitely worth the effort but if your definitely buying the MOXF take a look at the posts Purcell has been recently putting up regarding EQ etc because that makes a big difference to the stock sounds.

Return to “Yamaha MOXF”